Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Charity

Quotes and thoughts about Charity: The Pure Love of Christ.

"I have always loved your Relief Society motto: “Charity never faileth.”  What is charity? The prophet Mormon teaches us that “charity is the pure love of Christ.” In his farewell message to the Lamanites, Moroni declared, “Except ye have charity ye can in nowise be saved in the kingdom of God.” 


-Thomas S. Monson, "Charity Never Faileth", LDS General Conference, Relief Society Session, October 2010

I consider charity—or “the pure love of Christ”—to be the opposite of criticism and judging. In speaking of charity, I do not at this moment have in mind the relief of the suffering through the giving of our substance. That, of course, is necessary and proper. Tonight, however, I have in mind the charity that manifests itself when we are tolerant of others and lenient toward their actions, the kind of charity that forgives, the kind of charity that is patient.

-Thomas S. Monson, "Charity Never Faileth", LDS General Conference, Relief Society Session, October 2010

I have in mind the charity that impels us to be sympathetic, compassionate, and merciful, not only in times of sickness and affliction and distress but also in times of weakness or error on the part of others.

-Thomas S. Monson, "Charity Never Faileth", LDS General Conference, Relief Society Session, October 2010

"As you serve others for Him, He lets you feel His love. And in time, feelings of charity become part of your very nature."

-Henry B. Eyring, "A Witness", LDS General Conference October 2011


"The Lord is keeping His promise to you as you keep yours. As you serve others for Him, He lets you feel His love. And in time, feelings of charity become part of your very nature. And you will receive the assurance of Mormon in your heart as you persist in serving others in life that all will be well with you."

-Henry B. Eyring, "A Witness", LDS General Conference October 2011

Hope is critical to both faith and charity. When disobedience, disappointment, and procrastination erode faith, hope is there to uphold our faith. When frustration and impatience challenge charity, hope braces our resolve and urges us to care for our fellowmen even without expectation of reward. The brighter our hope, the greater our faith. The stronger our hope, the purer our charity.

-Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "The Infinite Power of Hope", LDS General Conference October 2008

"We are challenged to move through a process of conversion toward that status and condition called eternal life. This is achieved not just by doing what is right, but by doing it for the right reason—for the pure love of Christ. The Apostle Paul illustrated this in his famous teaching about the importance of charity (see 1 Cor. 13). The reason charity never fails and the reason charity is greater than even the most significant acts of goodness he cited is that charity, “the pure love of Christ” (Moro. 7:47), is not an act but a condition or state of being. Charity is attained through a succession of acts that result in a conversion. Charity is something one becomes. Thus, as Moroni declared, “except men shall have charity they cannot inherit” the place prepared for them in the mansions of the Father (Ether 12:34; emphasis added)."

-Dallin H. Oaks, "The Challenge to Become", LDS General Conference October 2000

"Christlike love is the greatest need we have on this planet in part because righteousness was always supposed to accompany it. So if love is to be our watchword, as it must be, then by the word of Him who is love personified, we must forsake transgression and any hint of advocacy for it in others. Jesus clearly understood what many in our modern culture seem to forget: that there is a crucial difference between the commandment to forgive sin (which He had an infinite capacity to do) and the warning against condoning it (which He never ever did even once)."

-Jeffrey R. Holland, "The Cost - and Blessings - of Discipleship", LDS General Conference April 2014

"Pure Christlike love flowing from true righteousness can change the world."

-Jeffrey R. Holland, "The Cost - and Blessings - of Discipleship", LDS General Conference April 2014



"We can alter the face of the earth one family and one home at a time through charity, our small and simple acts of pure love. Charity, the Savior’s pure love, is the “highest, noblest, strongest kind of love,” 1 which we “pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart” 2 to possess. Elder Dallin H. Oaks teaches us that charity “is not an act but a condition or state of being [one becomes].” 3 Our day-to-day offerings ofcharity are “written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; … in [the] fleshy tables of [our] heart[s].” 4 Little by little our charitable acts change our natures, define our characters, and ultimately make us women with the courage and commitment to say to the Lord, “Here am I; send me.”
-Anne C. Pingree, "Charity: One Family, One Home at a Time", LDS General Conference Relief Society Meeting October 2002
"The greatest act of charity in time and all eternity was the Atonement of Jesus Christ. He willingly laid down His life to atone for my sins and yours."
-Anne C. Pingree, "Charity: One Family, One Home at a Time", LDS General Conference Relief Society Meeting October 2002
"Love is the very essence of the gospel, and Jesus Christ is our Exemplar. His life was a legacy of love. The sick He healed; the downtrodden He lifted; the sinner He saved. At the end the angry mob took His life. And yet there rings from Golgotha’s hill the words: 'Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do'—a crowning expression in mortality of compassion and love."

—Thomas S. Monson, "Love—the Essence of the Gospel"


Charity is a trait that we all must have.  There is so much strength and beauty that comes from being charitable.  I hope that that is a term that people will use widely when describing me.  I want to be filled with the love of Christ and emanate it.  Flowing with charity and righteousness truly can change the world just like Elder Holland said.  Our Savior was the perfect example of charity, and I strive each and every day to be more like Him. We need more love in our modern society, more kind words and deeds, and more patience and long-suffering; I hope that my children can see my as charitable and that I can be an example to them of these things.

Application of Charity in My Life:

As I studied, read, and learned more about charity, I wanted to better myself and be filled more with the love of Christ. To do this I gave myself specific rules to follow:
1. Be patient: patient with your children and with your husband, no matter how headstrong they may seem.
2. Be kind: speak kinds words, praise others, recognize the good things people do, and thank everyone.
3. Forgive: forgive no matter the circumstance, even when it is difficult, forgive right away.
4. Serve: find opportunities to serve where you can.
These were key traits that I wanted to implement.
We are building a house currently and it is extremely stressful.  My husband has a particularly hard time with it and can get very frustrated - he tends to take his frustration out on me inadvertently. Throughout this time I feel I have become a better example of charity. It wouldn't have been hard for me to lash back at my husband, but I would stay calm, and allow him to vent. I would do my best to find words of comfort and if those were no good, I would be patient and allow him the time he needed to cool off. I had to be very tolerant as it can be extremely difficult to deal with a hot-headed person, but we must not get upset, or degrade somebody for their mistakes. We need to be patient and love them. Through our love they will come to learn and find motivation to be better. My husband thanked me and praised me today for my tolerance and charity towards him as we have been finishing up building. He understands that he has been difficult to deal with and has noticed my patience with him as I have stayed calm and been kind to him. I never broadcasted his mistakes to him, telling him that he was in the wrong, I only loved him. Finding opportunities to serve has been deemed more difficult as our free time available to us is zero but I have found small things that I have been able to do. We have had a lot of family come and help us on our house for ours on end and my way of serving them back has been to feed them while they are working on our house. I'll bring lunch and make them all an individual sandwich to their liking.  On a particularly hot day, I surprised everyone with frosties from Wendy's. The joy that comes from serving is worth every ounce of inconvenience that we think service is, however once the service is completed we never view it as an inconvenience, only a blessing. I want to strive to always be filled with charity. I want others to view me as charitable. That is a trait that I will strive my whole life to have as I feel it is one of the most important attributes to possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment